16/10/2010

Interview with Malagas Quincy and Eliseu

 
Tomorrow night Real Madrid travel to the Rosaleda Stadium in Malaga for what promises to be an explosive 90 minutes of football. After struggling badly last year, a rejuvenated Malaga have produced some electric performances so far this season, not to mention an avalanche of goals such as the five in thirty minute job that smashed Real Zaragoza to pieces on Matchday 2 at La Romareda. Two of the men who form an integral part of this lightning-quick side capable of ripping any team apart on the counter are Eliseu and Quincy Owusu-Abeyie. Eliseu is enjoying a renaissance at Malaga after a season getting back in form at Zaragoza while Quincy has taken no time at all in winning over the home support with some dazzling shows down the right wing after arriving on loan from Qatari club Al-Sadd. Here you have an exclusive interview with these two speed-demons, conducted by the main man down at the Rosaleda, David Redshaw. Mourinho...you've been warned.

How are things?

Quincy: I’m happy and I’ve adapted well. I feel strong, though I’m still not at my best.

Eliseu: I’m happy too and so are my family. I already knew the people here so I had no trouble adapting. Lots of things are the same as when I left, and I have to make the most of this opportunity.

-Is Eliseu a better player than he was last time?

E: I think so. Things change and I now take more responsibility. I’m more involved in dead ball situations. But everybody knows that when Duda comes back the free kicks are his.

-Can Málaga finish in the top ten?

Q: We have to take it one step at a time. We have good players and it’s a very hard league. I played in la segunda with Celta but I think it’s easier to play against the best. In the second division everybody is fighting to go up; in the first it’s more about quality.

-Who’s the quickest, Eliseu or Quincy?

E: It doesn’t matter. To have players with pace in the team is always good. On the right, on the left, in defence, anywhere...........

Q: I don’t know who is fastest. We need to use our speed, that’s the most important thing. The more players we have with pace the better. Seba and Rondón are both quick and this year we’ll win a lot of games with our speed.

-Have either of you been timed over 100 metres?

Q: I haven’t. I don’t know how to run without the ball. I need to see it to even run. I like to watch athletics but not practice it.

E: No, I’ve never been timed either.

-Quincy, you won the fans over after just one game....

Q: Yes they seem to be with me. When I get the ball it gives me confidence. When the fans are happy I always try to do better and raise my game. The atmosphere in the ground is brilliant. I wish I’d arrived months ago.

E: I tried to come in January but it wasn’t to be and I had to wait. It was probably better to arrive at the start of the season, as Muñiz said the main fault last year was a lack of pace. Now pace will be one of this team’s main weapons. This year we will be one of the best counter-attacking sides in the league. We will be lethal.

-Finally Eli, which Málaga is better? This team or the one you left a year ago?

E: I wouldn’t like to say. The nucleus of the team is still the same, but expectations are higher. We need to be ready to maintain the level the fans expect. The coach has given us a winning mentality. He came from Porto, where he almost always won, and his team was in the Champions League. So now we only think of winning, and that’s good for Málaga.

By David Redshaw author of 'Málaga Football Club - The Story'
Malaga Football Club - The Story

No comments:

Post a Comment